Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Older = Old?

My bestie, Susie, turned 46 yesterday, and I think the idea of aging is beginning to get to her. Okay, really, freak her out a bit. So that, plus my upcoming 41st, has got me thinking about this whole business.

All in all, I don't feel old; I mean, sure my body is a bit creaky and stiff now, and I've had all these fab life experiences that make me a subtly, and sometimes significantly, different person than I was at 21 and 31, but old I do not feel.

For instance, I look in the mirror, and sure, there are those increasing numbers of natural gray highlights, and the occasional new smile line, and the thicker waist, but my psyche is so much healthier now than ever before. I mostly like who I'm becoming. Physically, I think I'm the most beautiful I've ever been (does that sound a bit full of my self? not the intent). Emotionally, I getting closer to finding the place where I'm comfortable. Professionally, I'm beginning to feel some confidence and success in what I do. As a daughter, I'm getting closer to acceptance, and as a mom - jeez, i can't tell you how proud I am of my success in that.

None of these are places I could be without being 40+. So what's the big deal, right?